Hello all,

It occurs to me that we are in a bit of a predicament in terms of being able to
remain current with java, if the projected 6-month release to EOL cycle for
major versions of java indeed continues. For example, as of now java9 is EOL,
yet we still don’t have sufficient build tools (maybe almost) to even think
about doing a release building with java9, let alone the current version of
java, v10. For example, [lang] fails on mvn -Prelease -Ptest-deploy clean test
site deploy on java10 with the following error:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.7.1:site (default-site) on project
commons-lang3: failed to get report for
org.codehaus.mojo:cobertura-maven-plugin: Plugin
org.codehaus.mojo:cobertura-maven-plugin:2.7 or one of its dependencies could
not be resolved: Could not find artifact com.sun:tools:jar:0 at specified path
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-10.0.1.jdk/Contents/Home/../lib/tools.jar

What are we to do if they keep up this cycle? Depressing as it may seem, I
don’t see the current OSS java ecosystem sustainable. We won’t get stable maven
build plugins fast enough to keep up. We can keep building to java8, but I
don’t know what to do with higher versions.

Any thoughts or ideas? Everything that I can think of is ugly at best.

-Rob