On 23 August 2018 at 07:10, Benedikt Ritter <brit...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hey sebb,
>
> Am Do., 23. Aug. 2018 um 01:23 Uhr schrieb sebb <seb...@gmail.com>:

>> > Mutual feeling, and +1 for consistency. From what I understood, users
>> should be able to parse these crazy CVS's, but if they tried to re-create
>> them, with comments, then they wouldn't be able to avoid the
>> println/newline (so it wouldn't be parseable later with the same reader).
>> >

>> > We probably need a ticket for it to aggregate the discussion and maybe a
>> possible solution.
>>
>> I'm wondering whether we need to be as flexible when *creating* the CSV
>> files.
>>
>> "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send" (Jon
>> Postel)
>>
>> In this case send == create, as it might be sent to other less liberal
>> readers.
>>
>> I don't have a problem with the output being less flexible, so long as
>> it is sufficiently flexible (which I think it likely is already).
>>
>> I don't think consistency is necessary - or even desirable - here.
>>

> okay, but wouldn't you expect that you can use a CSVFormat instance to read
> a file that you created with it? This is currently not the case.

Sorry, I misread the problem.

Yes, it should be able to read what it writes.

So the issue remains: should the reader be able to parse the unusual
format, or should the writer not be able to create it?

I don't have a particular view on that, except that allowing LF and
CRLF only seems too restricting.
We should allow at least CR alone. I don't know whether there are any
other reasonable separators.

Perhaps we could just document the method to warn that using anything
other than CR, LF or CRLF will produce an output file that is not
parseable?