Le mer. 20 mars 2019 à 15:04, Alex Herbert <alex.d.herb...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On 20/03/2019 13:08, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
> >
> >> - Perhaps there is another place for them?
> >>
> >> I am happy to not clutter the source repo and keep them somewhere for
> >> devs. But where? You tell me. Maybe in the examples-stress module they
> >> are OK as that one is not officially part of the library.
> > Unless a script is robust and readily usable by a newbie (i.e. anyone
> > but the author), there is the risk that it becomes cruft.
> > What you did is great work but I doubt that many would be interested
> > in detailed tables of the failures, once one can easily compare the number
> > of failures.
> > If more is needed, there is no shortcut to reading the doc of the test
> > suites
> > themselves and other resources on the web...
> >
> > So, to summarize, what I think is interesting is to make it easy to rerun
> > the test suites and update the site (e.g. for the "current" JDK):
> >   * a document that mentions the external tools requirement
> >   * a standalone application for running "RandomStressTester"
> >   * a script that collects results from the above run, formats them into the
> >     "quality" table ready to be pasted into the "rng.apt" file, and copies
> > the
> >     output files to their appropriate place (*not* assuming a git
> > repository)
> >
> > It would also be great to be able to easily start the many benchmarks
> > and similarly collects the results into the user guide tables.
>
> I will write a script that will collect the results from the benchmark,
> build the apt table and copy the output files to a directory.
>
> Note that the benchmark files only contain the RNG class name:
>
> # RNG: org.apache.commons.rng.core.source32.JDKRandom
>
> This means the script has to be kept up to date with the corresponding
> enum name, and the desired output order for the apt table. I can add
> these to a simple array as the top which any newbie should be able to
> extend.
>
> It would be desirable for the script to search for results files in a
> set of directories, identify them as dieharder (dh) or TestU01 (tu)
> results and then output the files for each run N of a unique generator M
> to the existing directory structure, e.g:
>
>  > collate-benchmark-results.pl output dir1 dir2 ...
>
> output/(dh|tu)/run_N/(dh|tu)_M
>
> This should be done robustly such that the script can be pointed at the
> git source tree for the site and it will figure out that the files are
> already in the correct place. I think this would just involve sorting
> the paths to all the results numerically not alphabetically (e.g. dh_1 <
> dh_2 < dh_10) before processing them to output.

Perhaps the "RandomStressTester" should be made more flexible
and, instead of a hard-coded "GeneratorsList", accept a list of "enum"
identifiers. e.g. a list (ASCII file) like:
MT 3
MT_64 3
SPLIT_MIX_64 3
[etc.]
where the second columns indicates how many runs to perform for
this type of RNG.
[A (mandatory) flag specifying this file would replace the first 2
command-line arguments.]

> For the JMH benchmarks I tend to run e.g.
>
>  > mvn test -P benchmark -Dbenchmark=NextDoublePerformance
>
> I then have a script to parse the JSON in
> target/jmh-result.NextDoublePerformance.json to a Jira format or CSV
> format table. Usually I add some relative score columns in a spreadsheet
> then paste into Jira (which nicely accepts the tables).
>
> It should not be too hard to generate the existing apt tables for
> performance. I can look into this. I am assuming that the tables are
> based on the highest 'number of samples' from each generator.

I also have a (Perl) script, that uses a JSON library, to parse the
JMH output; but it's quite ugly and not robust (IIRC, I need to make a
change in the code depending on what should serve as the "reference"
to be mapped to "1", in the table).