> On 30 Jul 2019, at 19:28, Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> Le mar. 30 juil. 2019 à 15:38, Alex Herbert <alex.d.herb...@gmail.com
> <mailto:alex.d.herb...@gmail.com>> a écrit :
>>
>> On 30/07/2019 10:56, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
>>> Hello.

>>> Anything missing?
>>
>> - RNG-110: The PR for SharedSharedDiscrete/ContinuousSampler should have
>> a review [1]. I've left this while we finished GSoC phase 2 but it is ready.
>>
>> I added factory methods for all samplers. For existing samplers this is
>> just for consistency. Some however use internal delegates and the
>> factory method can return the delegate directly which is an advantage.
>>
>> One issue to look at is how I handled GaussianSampler and
>> LogNormalSampler. The samplers can only be shared state samplers if the
>> input NormalizedGaussianSampler is a shared state sampler. I handled
>> this with documentation. But this means a downstream user may be passed
>> a SharedStateContinuousSampler, use it as such and receive an exception
>> if it was created incorrectly.
>
> Could the library create it "incorrectly”?

No. All the NormalizedGaussianSamplers in the library are suitable to pass to
the GaussianSampler and LogNormalSampler.

>> The alternative is two factory methods which must have different names
>> due to type erasure:
>>
>> public static ContinuousSampler of(NormalizedGaussianSampler gaussian,
>> double scale, double shape);
>>
>> public static
>>     <T extends NormalizedGaussianSampler &
>> SharedStateSampler<ContinuousSampler>>
>>     SharedStateContinuousSampler
>>     ofSharedState(T normalized,
>>                   double mean,
>>                   double standardDeviation) {
>
> Not nice, at first sight.
>
>> So the options are:
>>
>> - As current but has the pitfall of throwing exceptions if you do create
>> a one with something that does not share state (i.e. not a sampler in
>> the library).
>
> IIUC, it answers my question above.
> I would not consider too much that the interfaces defined in our "client API"
> module could be implemented by external codes.
> Even within "Commons", we do not use other components' API…

OK. User beware documentation. If using only our library it will not be an
issue.

So I take it that you are fine with the PR?

Just rereading it now and I’m not totally sold on the factory constructors
using .of(…). Here’s Joshua Bloch on the matter [1]:

—
Here are some common names for static factory methods:

        • valueOf—Returns an instance that has, loosely speaking, the same
value as its parameters. Such static factories are effectively type-conversion
methods.

        • of—A concise alternative to valueOf, popularized by EnumSet (Item 32).

        • getInstance—Returns an instance that is described by the parameters
but cannot be said to have the same value. In the case of a singleton,
getInstance takes no parameters and returns the sole instance.

        • newInstance—Like getInstance, except that newInstance guarantees that
each instance returned is distinct from all others.

        • getType—Like getInstance, but used when the factory method is in a
different class. Type indicates the type of object returned by the factory
method.

        • newType—Like newInstance, but used when the factory method is in a
different class. Type indicates the type of object returned by the factory
method.
—

The ’newType’ may be appropriate as the factory method is returning an instance
of an interface not defined in the class. This is required for some
implementations such as the PoissonSampler which returns either a SmallMean or
LargeMeanPoissonSampler. So the Bloch naming could be ’newSampler’. But then we
have over verbose code using ‘Sampler' twice:

new PoissonSampler(rng, mean)

PoissonSampler.of(rng, mean)

PoissonSampler.newSampler(rng, mean)

IMO the later is too verbose. If we state that the sampler is entirely defined
by the input arguments to ‘of’ then it does satisfy "has, loosely speaking, the
same value as its parameters”.

So ‘of’ is OK. The only other words I like are ‘from’ or ‘with’:

PoissonSampler.of(rng, mean)
PoissonSampler.from(rng, mean)
PoissonSampler.with(rng, mean)

WDYT?

[1] http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1216151
<http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1216151>

>> - Another factory method to explicitly create a SharedStateSampler using
>> a normalised Gaussian SharedStateSampler.
>>

>> A few things that are 90% done:
>>
>> - RNG-85: MiddleSquareWeylSequence generator
>>
>> This is simple code and now the modifications have been made to the
>> ProviderBuilder it is possible to pass in a good quality increment for
>> the Weyl sequence. I have code to build the increment that can be added
>> to the SeedFactory. I did this months ago so will have to find it and
>> create the PR.
>>
>> - RNG-95: DiscreteUniformSampler
>>
>> I now have a reference for the alternative algorithm for choosing int
>> values from an interval. The code is done but should go after RNG-110 as
>> the code uses 5 internal delegates for different algorithms. This would
>> be optimised by the changes in RNG-110.
>>
>> - RNG-109: DiscreteProbabilityCollectionSampler to use an internal
>> DiscreteSampler
>>
>> I have to create a benchmark to compare the AliasMethodSampler against
>> the GuideTableSampler to see which is more suitable for a generic
>> probability distribution. This should not take long.
>>
>> - RNG-94: RotateRotateMultiplyXorMultiplyXor
>>
>> Simple code that is based on the same idea of using an output hash
>> function on a Weyl sequence like SplitMix. It is slightly slower but the
>> hash function is better and more robust to low complexity increments. So
>> we can add it using a seeded increment for the Weyl sequence. This would
>> take a day to add the two hash function variants.
>>

> Everything ready is fine to add before the next release, but equally
> fine to add after it (and do another release in 2 months if wanted)
> given the host of new features already implemented. :-)

I’ll put what I have together in the coming week or so.