Hello.

Is "Commons" willing to set up itself for welcoming new
people who, in order to contribute to the projects, might
need more support than the usual asynchronous review
of patches?

The ASF participates in GSoC[1] and Outreachy[2] and
some Apache projects seem well prepared for dealing with
the mentoring requirements and application selection process.

Last year, we[3] participated in GSoC, with mitigated results.
Maybe it was partly due to the lack of experience with these
programs, especially on how to gauge the candidates (wrt
to the expected benefit for the project).

Some people start to ask questions about their eventual
application.[4][5]
Is "Commons" too complicated for the target audience of
those initiatives?

[1] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/
[2] https://www.outreachy.org/
[3] Rob Tompkins, Eric Barnhill, Alex Herbert, and I.
[4] https://markmail.org/message/n5prdwkaukw5ji37
[5]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUMBERS-70?focusedCommentId=17028479&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-17028479