JNA is the middle ground between JNI and JCE in terms of performance
is my understanding without needing any .c files to create linkage.
The problem appears to be that there is no conditional loading and
stubbing of functions like can be done easily in the JNI code and is
why macOS throws that error, LibreSSL lacks the rdrand() function.
Perhaps it was included as a path to get rid of the native binaries
that have to be built for JNI?  But wonder if the performance wasn't
there, or the macOS failures prevented its full development?

-Geoff