Hello.

Le lun. 14 juin 2021 à 00:37, John Patrick <nhoj.patr...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> So I want to start using Java 11 and take advantage of Java Modules. But
> with a bug in Java Multi-Jar not supporting 1.8 as base and 11 upon that,
> and most dependencies I want to upgrade eventually get stuck on a commons
> project holding a pure JPMS solution.
>
> Potentially someone raise an enhancement to drop support for Java 1.8 which
> isn't happening for Java 17, but for Java 18 which is only 8 month away it
> could happen. So at that point it might be a shock for commons projects as
> you might be blocking open source projects, or they roll off commons
> projects... just a thought.
>
> I've tried to do a seamless upgrade, or suggest a roadmap, but haven't got
> anywhere, but think I might just raise a JEP to drop 1.8 in Java 18...

I'm not sure I don't understand what you mean.  If it's about the possiblity
to use JPMS: "Commons RNG" project has an example[1] showing that it
seems to work when the code is used within a Java 9+ environment, even
though the component itself is still targetted at Java 1.6.

[1]
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-rng.git;a=tree;f=commons-rng-examples/examples-jpms;h=64999d7bd370e374fbe801d8bc376ba17ea55970;hb=HEAD

>>> [...]