Le lun. 25 juil. 2022 à 16:38, Alex Herbert <alex.d.herb...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 at 14:37, Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > How about making a "beta" release of the next major version:
> >     4.0-beta1
> > ?
> >
> > This
> >    https://commons.apache.org/
> > page refers to a "1.0-beta1" release [Statistics] that does not
> > seem to exist.  This is a required dependency for [Math].
> >

> I have been held up with other things so have not made progress on the
> releases: Numbers -> RNG -> Statistics
>
> Statistics requires:
>
> - a new version of numbers to obtain the updated more accurate Brent solver
> for the inverse CDF computation, plus all the work on the beta and gamma
> functions. - a new version of RNG that has updated distribution samplers
>
> I think numbers could be released now.
>
> Ideally I would like to add a SplittableUniformRandomProvider interface to
> RNG before it is released with the new XBG generators. These are splittable
> in the JDK and it makes sense to do this now as RNG now supports Java 8 and
> this functionality applies to Splittable streams. This is not essential and
> it could be released as it is. However the splittable functionality may be
> limited if added later with constraints of binary compatibility. I would
> rather try to put it in now. I have done a lot of thinking on adding to the
> API so I could try and put this up on a Jira ticket for discussion.

IMHO, we should expose the current, several years old, state of [Math] so
that users may become aware of what they miss out (in [RNG], [Numbers]
and [Geometry]) by still using version 3.6.1.
A release makes it easier for application developers to test (and perhaps
provide feedback and contribute here).  A "beta" release will allow us to fix
things without BC constraints.
We could also make a "beta" release of [RNG] (1.5-beta1), on which
[Statistics] (1.0-beta1) and [Math] (4.0-beta1) would depend, with the
same advantage.

Best,