On Sun, 21 Aug 2022 at 14:24, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 21, 2022 at 9:23 AM Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hm... I guess an aggregate Javadoc is on my wish list, maybe one day...

Commons RNG has an aggregate project activated by a profile in the parent
pom named 'docs'. It creates aggregate javadoc and jacoco reports as these
plugins require the tools are configured in a module that depends on all
the other modules. I added it for the current dev version for easier
browsing of coverage data and the javadoc API. It is not used during
release. I am wondering if a site build including that profile would create
a further module in the modules menu where the aggregate reports are shown.
A bit of extra code could then be added to the top level site configuration
to show a link to the aggregate javadoc.

It would be a good place to start investigating an aggregate javadoc for
the site. Then address the issue in the release guide of where to copy the
javadoc for the Apache long term archive. Currently all modules have their
own sub-directory for the javadoc archive e.g.

https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-rng/commons-rng-client-api/apidocs/index.html
https://commons.apache.org/rng/commons-rng-client-api/javadocs/api-1.4/index.html
https://commons.apache.org/rng/commons-rng-client-api/javadocs/api-1.3/index.html
etc ...

I would propose an aggregate javadoc could live at the top level as if a
single module component:

Latest:
https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-rng/apidocs/index.html
Release archive:
https://commons.apache.org/rng/commons-rng/javadocs/api-1.4/index.html

However I am unfamiliar with the exact requirements for the javadoc
archive. Currently the release has a script to copy all the javadocs from
the release site build to the archive location. The aggregate javadoc would
have to be added to this release step.

Alex