On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 at 09:43, Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Le mar. 18 juil. 2023 à 02:48, Dimitrios Efthymiou
> <efthymiou.dimitri...@gmail.com> a écrit :
> >
> > Thanks Gilles. I checked NUMBERS-193 and i have an implementation of DD and
> > i will put it in *.ext package (TBD) along with some tests. Do i have to
> > look at Dfd.java or something, because these dfd classes in math legacy
> > core have lots of hard-coded decimals in there.
>
> Yes, we need to sort out what to with with the "Dfp" classes: I don't
> know how useful they will be once the DD implementation is available.
> We'll perhaps need benchmarks to assess speed vs precision among
> all extended precision implementations:
>  * DD in [Numbers],
>  * Dfp in [Math]
>  * BigDecimal in the JDK
>
> If "Dfp" is somehow (TBD) useful, it should be moved to a module of
> its own, perhaps in [Numbers].

Note: Dfp is not in the same category as a double-double number as it
is an "unlimited" precision number. It has a configurable decimal
precision and a larger exponent range than a double. It also has
support for various elementary functions (exp, exp1p, log, log1p, sin,
cos, etc). As such it is very valuable to fill a void where BigDecimal
cannot be used since that only supports pow and, from JDK 9+, sqrt. I
expect the speed would be comparable to BigDecimal and so a JMH test
would be useful.

Moving it out of math to a new module in numbers would be a chance to
revisit the code. But it is a large and complex class. I would not
change its implementation without a very thorough set of tests against
other comparable unlimited precision number implementations in other
libraries (Python mpmath; Maxima; Matlab vpa; etc).

Alex