Appreciate the feedback. That's a great point. I missed the potential of
the andThen(...) method.

One minor thing to point out - My proposed purpose of the default value
parameter was not to substitute the final value if it is null, but to
substitute the final value if it cannot be obtained, due the *parent* being
null. So in my example, it is the return value of getChild() that would be
null, and your code would fail with a NPE. To handle this using the
chaining approach I think would look something like:

function(ParentBean::getChild)

.andThen(Optional::ofNullable)
.andThen(o -> {

return o.map(ChildBean::getName).orElse("defaultName");

});

So overall it's similar to yours, you just need the .map() call to change
the optional type to match the final return type.

That probably covers a lot of scenarios, however I still consider it a bit
tedious, and it becomes even more tedious if we nest it one level further
because the handling of null is now always an inline function. (I realize
that level of nesting might be rare. I personally have needed it, but I
understand that alone is not justification enough)

For my usage of it, It's still much clearer to see a util method call, with
method references, rather than chaining via andThen, because most uses need
to handle null, which means I'd still be stuck with inline functions
everywhere. In the end the biggest benefit of the util call is the clarity
of quickly knowing that the purpose is to retrieve a simple nested
property, which I don't think you can realistically get when having to
decipher a chain of functions and optionals.

Dan