On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 at 22:16, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Something went wrong with the publication of the dev staging files from
> 3.3-RC2.
>
> The commit [1] should have included the 6 HEADER.html and README.html
> files from the staging site, however these were left behind, e.g. [2]

On further investigation, there should only have been HEADER and
README files at the same level as the binaries and source directories.
There are soft links in the subdirectories.

i.e. 2 files to be created and moved, not 6. If indeed this is
supposed to be done by the release plugin

See https://commons.apache.org/releases/release.html

> They can easily be moved, but it would be useful to know why this step
> did not work, as I thought most of it was now automated?

It's unclear why 6 staging files were created.

> AFAICT the rest of the commit was OK.

I am in process of fixing the html files, but it would be useful to
know if there is a bug in the documentation or the release plugin (or
both).