On Wed, 1 Nov 2023 at 23:54, Alex Remily <alex.rem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe it is for cross compilation, owing to the comments in the
> makefile:
> # for cross-compilation on Ubuntu, install the g++-mingw-w64-x86-64 package
I think you could also argue that the other way around - ie. those are
the packages you need if you want to cross-compile C++.

I quickly tried replacing CXX with CC on a Mac running OS 10.15 and,
admittedly both failed, but in the same way, finding "LibreSSL" in the
version string rather than "OpenSSL". This is mentioned in
BUILDING.txt and I assume it could be fixed by following the
suggestion in that file, but I can't risk messing anything up just at
the moment. So I don't think in that case using the C linker instead
of the C++ linker caused any problems.

This seems like a bit of a "Chesterton's Fence" to me!

Peter