On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 16:55, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Personally I feel that GSoC students should earn commit access just
>> like anyone else.
>
> I have a lot of sympathy for Greg's position. Treating 'committer' as
> a single monolithic category drives people away.

Right. It is necessary to distinguish between "commit access [to a
branch]" and "commit access [to trunk]". I fully concur that access to
trunk follows the same pattern as regular committers. GSoC students
have no elevated rights.

However, I think providing a GSoC student with commit to a branch is
an easy decision, and that it should be the default policy. (for the
reasons listed in my previous note)