From: Alex Harui [mailto:aha...@adobe.com]
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2015 11:12 AM
To: dev@community.apache.org
Subject: Re: Forming a community of Apache fans in China - Apache China
Community

On 11/23/15, 11:01 AM, "Benson Margulies" <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:

>It won't be a community if people are unable to follow the discussions.
>I think that it would be fine to handle user@ traffic in whatever
>language, but we need to enforce English as the language of community
>decision making.

Sure, once the decision starts to harden.  But I see no reason to require it
24/7 and only more harm if we require it.  It will force certain discussions to
places where you won't know they are going on, or make it so difficult that
folks won't participate.  Would you really require English-only at an ApacheCon
hackathon?  So what if a couple of folks are from Russia and speaking Russian
amongst themselves.  And you always have the right to ask "hey, I saw the word
'Sling' come up in your thread, can you give me a quick summary in English?"

>On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 1:44 PM, Roman Shaposhnik
><ro...@shaposhnik.org>
>wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 10:39 AM, Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> My initial instinct is that per-language mailing lists aren't a good
>>>idea.
>>>  But I would not require that folks post in English either.
>>>Otherwise it  feels like saying at ApacheCon that you have to go
>>>another room to have a  conversation in your native language.  Even
>>>if I can't read what is being  written by others, I can probably pick
>>>out a few keywords and at least  have an idea that certain topics are
>>>being discussed.
>>
>> There's also
>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3a%2f%2ftrans
>> late.google.com&data=01%7c01%7cRoss.Gardler%40microsoft.com%7ca932815
>> 08c7544e41c6e08d2f43a0d1e%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdat
>> a=i9Rami39IZVtw%2br4oG0%2bi9bTgM3sEkC6a5Y%2fDc3p4aY%3d ;-)

That would be for me to use if I'm curious about what folks are saying in
another language, but IMO, we should not require that folks use it before
posting.

-Alex