Howe about the next volunteer that comes by asking for project ideas, we
have them build a volunteer wrangling system? A bit tongue-in-cheek here,
but there's a need that can be filled there.

The difficulty, from my perspective, in guiding volunteers is that there is
So Much under the Apache umbrella. Volunteers often do not come advertising
their skills - do you want to do Java? Great, there's 100 projects for you.
Do you want to do web development? That could be 75 more. Coming to Apache
and saying you want to work on something is like showing up to work at
<Large Company X> but not having a team there that expects you. There are
hundreds of projects and some of them are likely to be a good fit, but the
process for finding them is very expensive.

The volunteers that show up and say "I want to work on Spark!" are the easy
ones, and we can immediately point them at the appropriate project mailing
lists. The volunteers that have no directions need a process.

Mike