From: Frans Badenhorst<mailto:endpollut...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2016 9:59 AM
To: dev@community.apache.org<mailto:dev@community.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Encouraging More Women to Participate on Apache Projects?

Hi

In South Africa youth unemployment is as high as 50%.  Many have tried to
even apply for a job, because the education is so poor that they are
effectively unemployable.

The only option women have who want to make a living for them selves is to
start their own business.  Thousands do.  They run in to all kinds of
problems which is entirely predictable.

My idea was to start a Apache program that will teach users to use the
system to run their small business.  Talented individuals will be trained
further to do various tasks that match their interests and skills.  Some
will concentrate on procurement, marketing, HR and so on and a few will
look at installation, customization and even development of the system.

I needed to establish a broadband connection ($200 and a mi=onthly fee of
less than $20 to keep it going), plus some PC's workstation and furniture
(desk and chair) totalling ($15 000) and could not get any funding.
Investors here are not interested in start-up businesses,

I think there is huge potential for women to start all kinds of businesses
in services (catering, clothes making, hair and nail care,etc,) but also in
agriculture (organic fruit, wine and vegetables) and manufacturing (e.g.
arts and crafts) and various health related services and education.

To succeed in business you need to have a good  (accounting, procurement,
HR and marketing) systems. A till and catalogue, web site  and so on can
all be provided by OfBiz at a very affordable rate. We need help to get
this off the ground.

If you have any ideas I will really appreciate it.

Regards

Frans Badenhost

Frans Badenhorst