On 05/22/2016 11:35 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Here's a really good suggestion from one of our other lists...
>
> "I wish we could hear from all the women who haven't come to Apache"

(pardon the waffling below...)

I am left wondering....could we perhaps extend this a bit?

We know there's definitely an issue of women being proportionately
underrepresented in most FLOSS communities - what about other groups
that may be in the same boat, but doesn't have the same visibility here?

Would it make sense to broaden our search a bit and see if we can figure
out if there are other areas that are just as bad (or maybe even worse off)?

There is plenty of data surrounding how the world is made up of
different groups of people, whether it be gender, color, orientations,
faith, mental state etc, but none that I could immediately find on FLOSS
communities - and I can't help wondering if there are other groups just
as underrepresented out there (I could think of a few that might be, but
I have no data whatsoever to support my claims!).

I'm not saying we should start 100 different outreach programs or try to
be the perfect fit for everyone from day one...but it sure would be
interesting to see which groups we actually feel welcoming to, and which
we miss by a mile.

Does any such data on FLOSS communities in general already exist?

I know this may irk some people slightly, trying to open up that big bag
of profiles, but we won't really know if we are inadvertently hostile or
unwelcoming to certain parts of the world's population until we start
asking some questions.

Maybe some sort of survey on the matter? I would naturally prefer a
completely anonymous survey if we chose that route.

With regards,
Daniel.