I would like to add some context to Ted’s complaint.  If he is talking about
the incident that I think he is, it happened years before Hortonworks was
founded.  (I wasn’t there, but I have heard the story from those who were.)  He
was at a Hadoop User Group promoting MapR’s proprietary file system as better
than Hadoop’s HDFS, which was not appreciated.  So to bring this out now as
“Hortonworks does not respect Apache ways” is not reasonable.

With my Apache hat on, regarding Sharan’s original question of handing out
material at Grace Hopper, I agree that keeping a clear distinction between
Hortonworks and Apache is appropriate.  It seems to me that her original
proposal of having Apache members and committers who happen to also be
Hortonworkers hand out the material accomplishes that.

Alan.