First, I'm tired of hearing it too but let's not be fooled, most of the time it
comes from people ill informed about how the ASF works.

We use social controls within the projects and we have a fully independent
board to handle escalations should a community member feel that their (or
anothers) merit not be recognized.

If this is breaking down then its a problem within the PMC not with the
process, which has served us well for many years across many projects and
should, IMHO, serve us well for many more. Rather than starting to look for a
solution to a problem purebred by others perhaps we should look at why they
have this perception.

Here's my thoughts...

Open source, in general, has changed. Its gone from mostly individual hackers
from small collaborating companies "scratching their own itch" to mostly big
business and will funded startups paying individuals who sometimes don't care
on a personal level. This has resulted in the emergence of a different flavor
of open source. One in which money and metrics count more than community and
code. I'm the money and metrics model success means market disruption rather
than collaboration on code.

I maintain that the Apache Way is still a highly valuable and repeatable
process that when applied correctly brings the highest chance of success (where
success is valuable open source code). It is a process that is designed to
ensure that those who care on a personal level have as much influence as those
who are motivated by external need. It is a process that leaves money and
metrics at the door but recognizes community and code contributions quickly.

I'm not a fan of metrics. They are often misleading and allow any story to be
told. I'm much more interested in people taking responsibility for the health
of their community than taking the easy route and monitoring an arbitrary
metric. Those people should be working within project PMCs to ensure all
contributions (code or otherwise) are being recognized. They should be
identifying new committees not a "number of commits" metric that ignores the
individual who facilitates consensus and merit recognition on our mailing lists.

If a PMC is devoid of such individuals then it is nothing more than a shared
code base regardless of how many new committers are brought in. Those projects
exist, but they should not exist in the ASF where we stand for "community
before code".

The current metric, reported quarterly, to a vendor neutral and member elected
board is "last addition of a committer". This is good. When it goes a long time
the board should ask "why". Sometimes its because a project is in maintenance
mode (no problem with that) other times its because a PMC is not recognizing
contributions and needs reminding.

Do we really need metrics? Perhaps we need more awareness in our communities
about why building a personal profile in a project is good for both career and
community. Then we can help people build those personal profiles by ensuring we
recognizing all contributions that bring stability, independence and health to
a project community.

Ross

---