In CloudStack (we use Github workflow now) only members can assign PRs and
issues to users. Therefore, when an issue or PR is created it does not have
an assignee. Then, when a contributor starts working on it, the community
members (committer or PMC) will assign this contributor to the issue/PR.
The member will also set the proper tags and milestone to the issue/PR.

I think in an open source community where everything is distributed,
asynchronous and volunteer work we should leave the issues open to anyone
until someone volunteers to work on it. Otherwise, we might face the risk
of assigning issues to people, and they (the issues) never get resolved
(for numerous reason that we do not need to get into details here).

I also find issues without assignee more welcoming to contributors. I mean,
if some issue has already an assignee I would think twice before starting
to work on it; moreover, I would only reach the person if I really need the
issue to be resolved, otherwise I would wait. On the other hand, if the
issue has no assignee and I am interested to work on it, I start right away.

To answer your questions:

> can he or she assign it directly to maintainer?

I would rather open an issue/ticket and reach people in the mailing list;
not asking for people to solve something for you, but rather discussing and
trying to create a solution together with the community. Assigning things
to people seems the role of a project manager that has some sort of power
over the managed team. Speaking from experience I do not take it nicely
when someone that uses the project I am a volunteer at (which I might now
know ) “assigns work” to me.

> Or contributor should always assign ticket to him or herself?

Leave tickets/issues open to people. Only assign them (tickets/issues) when
someone has already started working on it (do you see the shift on workflow
here? ). Then, you are not ordering, you are simply filling out some meta
information regarding the person that has taken upon an issue.

Is this regulated/recommended by the Apache policies?

Not that I know of.