On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 4:20 PM, Michal Mocny <mmo...@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 3:39 PM, Ian Clelland <iclell...@chromium.org
> >wrote:
> > This is ugly, though, and is going to get worse over time, and become a
> > division between Cordova and any platforms which actually implement the
> > File API correctly. I'd like to propose switching the behaviour of
> > .toURL(), to match .toNativeURL -- returning a webview-usable URL by
> > default -- and implementing some other method or property to get the CDV
> > URL when it's necessary.
> >

> Everything you've said sounds like its all upside to make the switch.  So
> I'm curious, when would CDV URL be necessary/useful over file/content urls?

cdvfile:// URLs would still be necessary when dealing with files that just
don't *have* an alternate representation. There currently aren't any of
those, but we could implement virtual file systems entirely inside of a
plugin, and those would require a cdvfile:// URL to be read.

I think we'd recommend them when saving URLs to persistent storage, if
there is any chance that the actual files could be moved / migrated, and we
could hide that from the user by giving them a more abstract identifier
than one which specifies a physical location.
cdvfile://localhost/persistent/my/file.txt might be more durable over time
than file:///data/data/com.company.package/files/my/file.txt, perhaps
across OS upgrades.