From: Tyler Freeman [mailto:ty...@drumpants.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 1:12 PM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org; Michael Brooks
Subject: Re: Does Cordova have a problem making developers happy?

I think what colors people's perception the most is the graphics and
interaction performance of JS vs Native. Here's a few possible reasons:

* They are basing their bias off Phonegap apps they saw 3 years ago. Even
though it's improved so much since then, those first apps still hang in
people's minds.

* Developers are not trying hard enough for that smooth, buttery animations. It
is possible to get 60fps on modern WebKit views, but it's hard and takes a lot
of work.

* For instance, I came across an article once that recommended using CSS
transforms instead of properties like "left". That changed my whole way of
thinking, and my app looks and reacts so much better because of it. I think it
would be good for the Cordova docs to lay out tips like that for making
top-notch apps.

* Non-native feel and interactions. Some apps just port their iOS-style design
straight to Android without considering that Android users expect a completely
different paradigm. Not sure there's much to do about this.

Tyler

Tyler Freeman
CTO, DrumPants, Inc.

Sent from mobile