Thanks, Joe for the detailed explanation. I understand why we've taken this
route. It's good that this is only a build failure. One of the complaints we
commonly hear from Cordova developers is that "I have a cordova project with a
certain version of the platform, I need to find the plugin that will work with
it". Our CLI always defaults to add the latest released version of the plugin.

After this breaking change, an existing cordova project with cordova-android <
5.x, cannot build with the latest version of the following plugins:
                - camera
               - geolocation
               - contacts.
These are some of the most popular plugins in cordova plugin ecosystem [1].

I propose that we should do our best to avoid disruptive breaking changes here.
Some ideas that come to mind:
- As Joe mentioned below - reflection. It has the downsides that Joe mentioned.
No one likes to write code like this it but results in least grief for Cordova
users. Some pain here for plugin developers will simplify the experience for
large number of corodva JS developers. I know we are doing some of this in
cordova-ios [2] and would love to find ways on how to make this manageable and
not super ugly.
- Add an  '<engine name="cordova-android" version=">=5.0.0" /> '  to the
plugins - failure happens at plugin add in this scenario. Cordova-lib could be
more intelligent to detect this error and resort to using an older version of
the plugin. The downside of this is that these projects cannot use the latest
and greatest of these plugins.

Thanks,
Nikhil

[1] http://cordova.apache.org/use-the-force-luke/plugins/?sortBy=Downloads