From: Carlos Santana [mailto:csantan...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 8, 2016 3:16 PM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] 'cordova platform update' alias for rm, add in
cordova-ios

I was never a fan of the "platform update" command since it was not fully
tested across the board.
like all the permutations possible to/from upgrade. meaning going for very old
like 3.6 to 5.1

If we do this I think it will break a lot of people that got used to changing
files inside platform/ios/ in terms of changing XCode settings in pbxproj like:
- use story board to launch app to be able to support ipad pro
- some initialization code in AppDelegate
- Any native code they added like NativeUI to mix web and native
- Changes to StoryBoard to adjust webview inside native view
- Build and Signing settings in project or target in XCode
- Installation of cocoapods
- Xcode Build phases scripts

Meaning that they will need to restore or generate all this things with hooks
or plugins.

I know that Darryl Pogue and Tommy have  projects where they can successfully
treat platfforms folder as 100% build artifact that they can throw away. But to
get there is not super easy

"platform update ios" has being scoped to only touch the CordovaLib xcode
project, leaving the app xcode project not touched that's why it's being safe
all along

What was the root cause of the recent problems with 4.1.0 for update?

Maybe we can restrict update command to major version,  meaning going from 4.x
to 4.x is OK but from 3.x to 4.x is not OK.

In the current release of the IBM MobileFirst, were we have a CLI to wrap
cordova commands we had a "$ mfp cordova platform update"
We took a backup of the platform folder and create a zip with a timestamp (like
ios_1457477724404.zip) We did this just in case the command was destructive and
user didn't lost files just in case they didn't have all files checked-in/backup

So doing a backup would be good if we move forward with this destructive action
of doing a platform remove