Hey

I know people have been waiting for this for a very long time, but I wrote
up a proposal to change the project so it's an Android Studio project.
Given that Android Studio is on 2.1.1, I think it's time we moved forward
and changed things around.

Proposal PR is here: https://github.com/cordova/cordova-discuss/pull/45

Branch where Proof of Concept work is being done is here:
https://github.com/infil00p/cordova-android/tree/studio_project_structure

The main roadblock to doing this, of course is migration of plugins and
custom code, as well as assets, but I think Android developers would
welcome this change because we're acting more like a regular, normal
Android project again and not some old, weird legacy/special case thing.
I've already did some exploratory work with the old cordova-android-studio
version of cordova-common, and installing plugins works fine depending on
what version of Cordova you're using.

The other thing that has me stuck is all the functionality in the gradle
files.  I would love to rip out a lot of the stuff we autogenerate in
there, such as the settings.gradle file that caused me a huge headache
earlier today when I tried to get importing to work.  It'd also be good to
have a documented process on how we set the Application ID, since I can't
quite figure out how we do that, and I know other people are struggling
with that as well.

This would be slated for Cordova-Android 6.0, and hopefully Google IO
doesn't have too many surprises that break us.

Joe