Like I mentioned in Kerri's discussion re: launch storyboard, the Xcode 6
requirement was an error in the docs unfortunately. We only support what
Xcode was needed to submit to the App Store. We were waiting until Apple
dropped Xcode 6, and we forgot to update the docs.  So how do we determine
if Apple drops support for an Xcode version? See: https://developer.apple.
com/library/content/qa/qa1806/_index.html under "Testing Legacy Tool
Support".

Here's where it gets tricky:
Xcode 7.3.1 still validates (iOS 9 SDK latest)
Xcode 6.4 still validates (iOS 8 SDK latest)

I used the Hello Cordova app which is pretty barebones so it validates
easily.

So using that rule is not foolproof. Here's a better way as a "carrot".

For example, now MPMediaQuery on iOS 10 will ask for permissions before an
app can scan your media library. Previously, you don't need to ask
permission.

Enterprising companies might try to build using the iOS 9 or older SDK, or
keep using their old app to try to "get around this". But I suspect it
won't work (I'll double check). It's like how they introduced Contacts
permissions in iOS 9 -- apps built using older SDKs (<= 8) will just
silently fail on an iOS 9 device, so your app is crippled, so it's in your
best interest to upgrade to a newer SDK build.

Note that this is not an Xcode limitation, but a SDK limitation -- usually
to use a newer SDK you need to get the newer Xcode.