Sorry I missed this, it was in my spam folder.

I think the general consensus is that <resource-file> should definitely
have the copy function added back. Not sure if it was clear if we came to a
conclusion on whether it should be default behavior though.

As for what to do for the reference behavior, I think the easy route is to
do what you suggested Tim and keep the current behavior as the default and
have the copy be an attribute users can set. Intuitively though, I think
resource-file should default to copy as expected just like other platforms,
and any other behavior can be handled with attribute flags or moved to
another more appropriate tag.

I would lean towards the second option because it makes more sense to me as
a plugin developer because all <type-file> tags do a copy. I know it would
break existing plugins that depend on the current behavior, but I can say
the same for resource-file being changed in the first place and never
documented nor mentioned in any blog release (my plugin is currently
broken). I don't know if many developers are even aware that it was changed
besides the contributor. It's been in cordova-windows since v4.4.0.

So this falls back on my initial two questions I asked:
1. What should be the default behavior of <resource-file> tag? Should it
simply be copy resources as it was originally intended to, or should it be
doing what it is now, which is making a reference to the resource files.
2. Should <resource-file> tag handle both functionalities, or should one be
separated out into another tag?