This problem is not only present on Play Services version, any other
library or framework, from Android (like support libraries) or any 3rd
party.
For 3rd party is less common, but for support libraries is very common to
have this kind of problem.

I have had another idea that I think should be simpler, but will be a big
breaking change.

What if we drop support for the framework tag in plugin xml and move the
functionality to config.xml?

Plugin authors should use config-file tag to add the framework on the
config.xml, something like
<config-file target="config.xml" parent="/*">
    <framework src="com.android.support:support-v4:24.1.1+" />
</config-file>

The problem is that any plugin using a framework will need an update, while
the other proposed approach will only need to update conflicting plugins.

And if the config.xml already includes a com.android.support:support-v4
then ignore it.