Changing the version number is part of the release process:
https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/blob/master/docs/platforms-release-process.md#prepare-release
We can discuss if this order makes sense, but that is the documented
process right now and should be followed.

@purplecabbage: PR https://github.com/apache/cordova-windows/pull/247 that
you mention Jesse is already part of master since 9 months ago:
https://github.com/apache/cordova-windows/commit/279816743f995510a1070a0bf77a3180f11e468a

Release 6.0.0 is discussed in a separate mailing list [DISCUSS] thread and
currently blocked by a broken test (see other thread for more information).