Reverting d5ddcb4 (fix for CB-12499) would resolve the test failure. (This
change is not part of 5.x.) Would this be an option?

If not, what else can we do to ship a release that fixes the crash on
Windows 8.1? Is there anything else I can do?

Workaround is still to use cordova-windows@4. This has been broken for way
too long.