Do anybody know why we still require java for cordova-android?

Just did a clean install on my computer and after installing cordova and
trying to run it's complaining about java not installed. We not just
require Java, we require Java 8, while latest is 13.
I know Java 8 is required for Android development, but the thing is,
Android Studio includes a JDK 8 you can use to run apps. I can run native
apps without any problem without java installed. Not just that, I can run
Cordova apps if I open the Android project at /platforms/android.

So, does it still make sense to keep that requirement and force users to
have Java 8 installed in their systems?
Is it required by the CLI or some command we use to run the app?