I don't think the proxy belongs to cordova-ios, I think it should be a
separate plugin, but not a webview plugin, I think cordova-ios should allow
one this two:

a) cordova-ios should allow plugins/users to set their
own WKURLSchemeHandler. This can be problematic since there can only be one
for the same scheme, so should be a subclass of CDVURLSchemeHandler or
duplicate most of its code.
b) cordova-ios should allow plugins to handle requests
inside CDVURLSchemeHandler, so if a plugin is able to handle a request, let
the plugin handle it, if not, use the default CDVURLSchemeHandler code for
request handling.

Both options would allow to create plugins that act like a proxy, or other
features like loading app content from the device file system instead of
from the www folder (for live update plugins).