Hello list,

Currently, it's necessary to have intimate-ish knowledge of the inner workings
of a view when calling it, e.g.:

http://localhost:5984/mydb/_design/burp/_view/count-laser-beams?group_level=2

If the group level was different, the results returned by the view might be
useless.

Other good examples are "include_docs", "inclusive_end" or "descending". For
instance, views that pull in foreign documents by emitting {_id: ...} as a
value will only produce useful results when called with "include_docs" set to
true.

I'd suggest a feature where inside a view definition, a new key
"query_defaults" alongside "map" or "reduce" contains a hash map of query
option keys and values that will be used when calling the view unless one of
the pre-defined options is passed as a query argument, in which case the
explicitly given query argument would take precedence.

Example:

"views": {
    "talks-by-room": {
        "map": "function(doc) {\n\tif(doc.type == 'talk' && doc.date_start)
{\n\t\temit([doc.room, doc.date_start, 0], doc.name);\n\t\tif(doc.speaker)
{\n\t\t\temit([doc.room, doc.date_start, 1], {_id:
doc.speaker});\n\t\t}\n\t}\n};",
        "query_defaults": {
            "include_docs": true
        }
    }
}

http://localhost:5984/couchcamp/_design/burp/_view/talks-by-room would be run
with include_docs=true, but the doc inclusion could be suppressed by requesting
http://localhost:5984/couchcamp/_design/burp/_view/talks-by-room?include_docs=false

Alternative names for the new key are "query_options" or
"query_option_defaults". Whilst I prefer "query_options", I think
"query_defaults" will be the better choice as it underlines the nature of the
functionality - namely, that the options defined therein may be overridden by
the caller.

I'd attempt a patch, but I probably lack the necessary Erlang-fu. Jan
encouraged me to propose the feature here anyway :)

Have a nice week,

David