On Aug 15, 2011, at 7:36 PM, Noah Slater wrote:

> On 15 Aug 2011, at 18:32, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>
>> 1. Write admin = password to local.ini
>> 2. Restart CouchDB
>> 3. Hash gets persisted to generated.ini
>> 4. Plain text password remains in local.ini
>
> Which one of these steps is the problem? 4? What would you have happen in
> place of that? That the plain text password be removed? Could we not simply
> leave that up to the admin to remove it from the config? What if it is needed
> again at some point? If I put my plain text password in a config file that I
> had edited by hand on a server, I would not expect it to be removed by the
> software. If I was concerned about saving the plain text password in the
> first place, I would hope that the software in question would come with an
> interactive prompt that would ask me for my password and write the hash out
> to the file for me.

I would expect that a plaintext admin password would never survive a server
restart.

If you want to change the admin-addition procedure to a startup prompt thing,
I'd be happy to consider this, but currently we are stuck between a rock and a
hard place because all the documentation out there suggests adding an admin to
local.ini will do the trick, yet distributions that add config files to
local.d/ will keep plaintext passwords around, contrary to what is documented.
I consider this a bad user experience as well as a security issue.

I was supporting that local.ini should come after local.d/*.ini, but dev@
overturned me here and came up with generated.ini, which I'd be fine with,
except, it doesn't solve the original problem.

Cheers
Jan