On Fri, 25 Jan 2019, at 11:18, Michael Fair wrote:
> I see the main differences are:
> 1) if I don't turn on clustering, because i'm single node, the only network
> way into Couch data is via the HTTP layer (at least so I would assume)
> 2) if I do turn on clustering, and I manually connect in to the cluster, I
> haven't been given tools in every scripting language to directly query and
> rewrite the entire dataset.  There's still a lot of internal workings I
> need to understand.

true; bear in mind that couchdb will also have a couch->fdb k/v layer so
it's still not going to be quite as transparent as that.

> With the FDB approach, as a single machine instance, I seem to have no
> choice but to allow every program/script on my machine access to the
> backend of the Couch data.  File level user privileges can't apply, all
> security to the underlying backend data becomes "was the source IP
> 127.0.0.1" or more generally "did the connection come from the right IP
> address".  I am certainly going to find that very useful for my own
> "explorations" to poke around the insides, but it just feels like a step
> backward securitywise.

I agree.

> I'm confident the issue will be addressed somehow, and perhaps the TLS
> stuff is all that's really required, but I would think it's really
> important for a server to be able to specify what/who its legitimate peers
> are.  I think this is definitely going to become more of an issue as these
> kinds of decentralized services mature more.
> It'd be awesome if FDB had the option to be/do something like a SQLite
> library or work over a spawned PIPE or something to lock it down so only
> the Couch server instance that launched it could use it...

TLS and TCP are non-negligable overheads, but this may not matter much in
practise. This is what I was thinking of with UNIX domain sockets. So I asked:

https://forums.foundationdb.org/t/feature-request-support-unix-domain-sockets-for-client-local-server-access/1071

A+
Dave