Hello,
There is no other database that does CouchDB-Style replication, that’s a very
clear and long-standing unique feature. Our particular combination of
JSON/HTTP/REST API is also pretty compelling. I’m sure we can make a better job
of explaining all that to people and I’m happy to review PRs for our website,
docs, and drafts for our blog and discuss details on the marketing@ list.
The ease of replication, specifically multi-master, is unmatched when compared to many other NoSQL DBs. But now that most NoSQL DBs have adopted JSON/HTTP/REST API we cannot count it as a distinguishing factor.

Market changes with time and consumer demands. We are at Nokia stage of multiple industries mentioned earlier. They will achieve their iOS/Android stage. The closer we align ourselves to the emerging technologies the easier it will be for us to stay relevant in the upcoming changes. I still stand by my inclination towards making CouchDB relevant from Web to IoT.
If that was true, the ASF board would shut down the project, as it is one of
the things we have to provide a report on on a quarterly basis. All future
direction of the project is discussed here and for my part, I understand where
the project is going, even if I’m personally not involved in all the
initiatives.

If anyone’s specific vision isn’t included in our roadmap, we can talk about
that, but know that we have to be very careful about allocating project
resources towards the things we know we can ship vs. the ones that are a lot of
work for not a lot of gain that subsequently nobody signs up to actually do.

CouchDB is a very powerful project even with an improperly communicated direction. And it solves 'something' better than any other DB. And pin pointing this 'something' is very challenging. This 'something' is the reason why people who use it fall in love with it. As a user this 'something' and the future direction both are unclear.

Can you share a link to the mailing list where we can read about these updates? This will help us improve website, marketing material, and more.

While I agree that there are many things that can be improved with CouchDB (we
have an issue tracker full of them e.g.), I want to address these two
assertions:

lack of unique competitive advantage,
There is no other database that does CouchDB-Style replication, that’s a very
clear and long-standing unique feature. Our particular combination of
JSON/HTTP/REST API is also pretty compelling. I’m sure we can make a better job
of explaining all that to people and I’m happy to review PRs for our website,
docs, and drafts for our blog and discuss details on the marketing@ list.

and unclear future direction
If that was true, the ASF board would shut down the project, as it is one of
the things we have to provide a report on on a quarterly basis. All future
direction of the project is discussed here and for my part, I understand where
the project is going, even if I’m personally not involved in all the
initiatives.

If anyone’s specific vision isn’t included in our roadmap, we can talk about
that, but know that we have to be very careful about allocating project
resources towards the things we know we can ship vs. the ones that are a lot of
work for not a lot of gain that subsequently nobody signs up to actually do.

Best
Jan
—