Hey all,

I’m planning a change to the Mac downloads for CouchDB with the 3.0 release.

Since Apple will require their variant of code signing called Notarization
for all software that is supposed to run on the next version of macOS, and
since I assume we want to continue to run on those systems, we need to go
about this.

I’m happy to offer my company (Neighbourhoodie) to be the arbiter for signing
the Mac binaries, since that is infrastructure that we already have in place
and we don’t have to try and figure out how to do this within the ASF.

To make sure folks aren’t weirded out by getting binaries signed by an org
that is not the ASF, I propose to move the actual binary downloads to our
company website and link to that from c.a.o for folks who want to download.
That page can then explain the circumstances and we can make sure nobody is
spooked by the experience.

Joan tells me that similar shenanigans are on the horizon for Windows, so
I suggest we’ll just do this in one go now. That, plus NH is effectively
funding the development and maintenance of the binary downloads, so we may
as well embrace them properly.

The binaries will be hosted on a highly available object store on the public
internet and we’ll cover all uptime and bandwidth usage considerations. And
the repos that lead to the creation of the binaries will remain open source
for anyone to validate our work independently.

I don’t think this warrants a vote, but I’m happy to hear about any thoughts
you might have on this.

Best
Jan
—