+1. Thanks for starting this, Paul. I was actually going to try and drive this a month or two ago, but things got busy for me.

I'd also support renaming it to 'trunk' but really don't care what we pick.

The first commercial version control system I used to use, called that branch "main":

  https://i.ibb.co/7bMDt3c/cc-ver-tree2.gif

-Joan "yes, that's motif" Touzet

On 2020-09-09 11:40 a.m., Paul Davis wrote:
Howdy Folks!

Words matter. I've just started a thread on merging all of the
FoundationDB work into mainline development and thought this would be
a good time to bring up a separate discussion on renaming our default
branch.

Personally, I've got a few projects where I used `main` for the
mainline development branch. I find it to be a fairly natural shift
because I tab-complete everything on the command line. I'd be open to
other suggestions but I'm also hoping this doesn't devolve into a
bikeshed on what we end up picking.

For mechanics, what I'm thinking is that when we finish up the last
rebase of the FoundationDB work that instead of actually pushing the
merge/rebase button we just rename the branch and then change the
default branch on GitHub and close the PR.

Thoughts?

Paul