Hi Dawn,

Not a stupid question at all, a very relevant question. Storage
disaggregation is one of THE key use cases we have built Crail for.
The goal is to enable existing data processing platforms frameworks to
perform efficiently on remote storage (remote as seen from the compute
nodes). This is not straight forward because most frameworks like
hadoop, spark, etc.., have been designed explicitly to take advantage
of local storage. In Crail, due to the low-latency high-throughput
data access, storage disaggregation becomes feasible even for such
frameworks.

In terms of configuration there is nothing in particular that needs to
be done, except that Crail permits you to put the storage nodes remote
to the compute nodes. Both the NVMf and DRAM/RDMA tier are suitable
for this. With regard to NVMf, there are storage enclosure that pack
plenty of flash into a single box and export an NVMf interface, these
boxes can also be used out-of-the box with the Crail NVMf tier.

-Patrick