Bernard,

You have it about right.

One thing to remember is that a release is source-code only. (You may
do binary releases later, but they are much more complicated.)

Another is that releases don't need to be perfect in terms of
functionality. It's fine if there are bugs, as long as the code
compiles. The thing that trips up most podlings is getting the legal
aspects right (e.g. no GPL-licensed dependencies, including necessary
text in LICENSE and NOTICE files).

I suggest you make a first release candidate, start a vote, and get
feedback. The first couple of votes will likely fail. It will take a
couple of iterations, but we don't expect perfection first time.

When the PPMC vote passes, there is a second vote on the IPMC. (Due
Apache policy that only a "real" PMC can make a release. The IPMC is
real PMC, but the PPMC is only a PMC-in-training.) That second step is
arduous I'm afraid (and adds a few extra days) but it's not too bad by
the 2nd or 3rd release.

Julian