Raymond,
Probably a combination of UMLS *Consumer Health Vocabulary + Custom
Dictionary (as Sean described) *may work for the use case*:*
"OAC CHV connects informal, common words and phrases about health to
technical terms used by health care professionals. It includes jargon,
slang, ambiguous, and misspelled words as used by consumers and health care
professionals. Due to its nature, OAC CHV includes concepts that are not
represented by other source vocabularies within the Metathesaurus."

[1] http://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/sourcereleasedocs/current/CHV/