Hi Pedro,

> B). If the user has already downloaded the UMLS isn't that already indicative
> that they had a valid account?
As I understand it (I wasn't around at the time) this per-user licensing with a
jit check was the deal that was worked out with the NLM.  I think that
repackaging and redistributing any form of the UMLS was not (legally) done
before ctakes worked out the current arrangement.
I think have heard ytex had an initial check upon installation, and we have
talked about (would like to) use this model.   The only drawback is a "single
download, multiple install" site distribution possibility -  which NLM didn't
like.
My information could be woefully outdated or just plain wrong.  If anybody out
there knows better then please chip in.

Sean

P.S.  If anybody would like to try to advocate a different arrangement with the
NLM then that would be great.