From: Jakob Rogstadius [mailto:jakob.rogstad...@who-umc.org]
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2015 4:41 AM
To: dev@ctakes.apache.org
Subject: RE: Cannot resolve lookup descriptor files for
UmlsDictionaryLookupAnnotator

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your response. I had to work on something else for a couple of days,
but now I'm back at it.

As you say, I get UmlsDictionaryLookupAnnotator to work when I manually copy
the files from the subversion repository to my local project. What I have now
looks like this:
        project-name
        project-name/src/main/java/...
        project-name/data/...
        project-name/resources/...
        project-name/org/apache/ctakes/dictionary/lookup/... (this folder was
copied from cTakes svn and is where LookupDesc.xml and the others files are
located)

However, this doesn't seem like the right approach at all. The other cTakes
components that I have tried using have all imported neatly as jars from Maven
central, together with their -res jars which contain the descriptor files and
other resources that they reference. At no point have I previously downloaded
the source project from the SVN server, and everything except the UMLS
dictionary lookups have worked this way.

I am confused. You say that the -res jars are not supposed to contain these
files, but then what are they supposed to contain? As I mentioned below, the
current -res jar for UmlsDictionaryLookupAnnotator has no content, except for
META-INF. And is this really the only way I can get the components to work?
What am I missing?

In case it matters, I instantiate the annotator as follows using uimaFit:
        AggregateBuilder aggregate = new AggregateBuilder();

aggregate.add(UmlsDictionaryLookupAnnotator.createAnnotatorDescription());
        AnalysisEngine aggregateEngine = aggregate.createAggregate();
        SimplePipeline.runPipeline(reader, aggregateEngine, writer, evaluator);

Best regards,
Jakob