From: Matthew Vita [mailto:matthewvit...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 11:53 AM
To: dev@ctakes.apache.org; Sandeep Byatha Gururaja rao
<sandeep...@arisglobal.com>; Shane Chesnutt <shanechesn...@gmail.com>
Subject: cTAKES Rest Service Development - Dictionary GUI MySQL Progress + 1
Concern

Hi Gandhi, Sean, Tim, Alex, James,

Good news, I was able to get MySQL running in the `ctakes-gui` (recall that I
am building in a toggle so that folks can create dictionaries using MySQL
rather than HSQLDB script files).

I found out the source of the issue with bringing in the MySQL dependency.
This one definitely took me a while and was super subtle! If you visit
/ctakes/ctakes-distribution/src/main/assembly/bin.xml,
<exclude>mysql:*</exclude>is present because it's a n  non-asf compliant
dependency used by ytex.

Removing the exclude and addingin
<include>mysql:mysql-connector-java</include> gets the correct result:

/ctakes/ctakes-distribution/target/apache-ctakes-4.0.1-SNAPSHOT/lib
matthew
​​
% ls -lash | grep mysql
  3912 -rw-r--r--   1 matthew  staff   1.9M Dec 14 20:23
mysql-connector-java-6.0.6.jar

Just for completeness, this is the exact POM entry:

      <dependency>
         <groupId>mysql</groupId>
         <artifactId>mysql-connector-java</artifactId>
         <version>6.0.6</version>
     </dependency>

Is there anyway we can use MySQL in cTAKES in a way that is compliant with ASF?
I wonder if MariaDB or Postgresql would be better because they work with JDBC
and are free/open source. Of course, I am biased towards MySQL/MariaDB because
the (near) future users of cTAKES Rest Service in the OpenEMR space are going
to want MySQL/MariaDB users :). Not a huge deal though.

Thanks,

Matthew Vita
www.matthewvita.com
you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy
this e-mail. Please notify the sender or system manager by email immediately if
you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your
system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing,
copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this
information is strictly prohibited and against the law.