Hello

I'm working as a consultant to a large academic institution, implementing a
customized version of CTAKES as a layer in a larger warehouse of clinical
data.   Although the institution is singular, there could be multiple
"virtual" users - call them departments or projects that are having data
processed on their behalf.

While I have created my own REST implementation, I've seen that the API
versions that are referenced on the CTAKES website also just do a single
UMLS authentication at startup.   So different consumers can, in fact, have
their documents processed under the auspices of a single UMLS identity.

I can think of several architectural solutions to this issue, with various
impacts on performance, but I'd like to know what is the official position
on offering Ctakes as a service in an Academic setting.  Would the rules be
different from a service, that for example, exposed pure Metamap?   There
are some pages online that refer to this situation.

Peter