Actually, I'll argue a bit. 2.1 will be live and maintained for some time.
Anyone who really wants to use it can use 2.1. Can you think of a
2.2-specific feature that someone would want to combine with the old HTTP
binding?

Not really...If we knew that no HTTP binding users migrated to CXF 2.2-SNAPSHOT (how likely it is ?) then I guess we could indeed remove it for 2.2...

Are there any HTTP binding users out there who already started working with CXF 2.2-SNAPSHOT ?
Cheers, Sergey