From: Cyrille Le Clerc [mailto:clecl...@apache.org]
Sent: Mon 1/4/2010 3:01 PM
To: dev
Subject: Re: Questions regarding JAX-RS exception handling

   Hello,

   Here is an updated version of the refactoring of the server side
handling of exceptions. It passes most of the systests, there is a
message format issue if no writer is found, all there other tests seem
to pass. Here are the details :

* Message serialization is mutualized in a AbstractJAXRSOutInterceptor
from which both JAXRSOutInterceptor and JAXRSFaultOutInterceptor
inherit, there is no longer the weird concept of a third interceptor
chain,

* Thread locals and reserved resources release are moved in a
JAXRSResourceCleanerOutInterceptor that is added to both the out and
faultOut interceptors chain,

> S.B. As you note below, there is a minor possibility of a leak if a given
> chain is aborted earlier on. We can of course warn users to make sure they do
> the cleanup if they try to abort the chain in their custom out/fault
> interceptors, but I'd really like to make sure no leak occurs, no matter what
> users do. So shall we move the cleanup code into AbstractJAXRSOutInterceptor
> and update JAXRSOutInterceptor and JAXRSFaultOutInterceptor to clean up in
> their finally blocks ?

* JAXRSInvoker and JAXRSInInterceptor lose all their exception
handling and resource cleanup (thread local, etc) logic, they just
rethrow to let the PhaseInterceptorChain invoke the adhoc interceptors

> S.B this is related to the above comment. I guess I'm slightly nervous about
> postponing the cleanup until later :-).

* JAXRSOutInterceptor gives most of its business logic to the
AbstractJAXRSOutInterceptor  (all the message serialization),

* JAXRSFaultOutInterceptor handles all the exception handling logic
(ExceptionMapper) :
  ** TODO : why the default fault is render in XML ? why not plain
text ?

>S.B : this is what XMLFaultOutInterceptor does by default, and in fact, I know
>that some users would like just this, that is an xml-formatted error
>description, if no ExceptionMappper has been found and if the fault
>propagation to the container (in the form of ServletException) has been
>disabled.

Why missing writers error message is currently rendered as
plain text and not XML as other faults ?

> S.B : this is handled by a default WebApplicationExceptionMapper, thus the
> fault does not reach the fault chain

* XMLFaultOutInterceptor and StaxOutInterceptor are no longer invoked
in the  faultOut chain, see JAXRSFaultOutInterceptor

* JAXRSResourceCleanerOutInterceptor is associated both with the out
and the faultOut interceptor chains. Clean the thread locals and the
the reserved resource (resourceProvider.releaseInstance ).
 ** TODO : should we deal with ContextClassLoader ?
 ** TODO : should we cleanup both on handleMessage and handleFault ?
 ** there is a problem if someone wants to abort the fault chain (see
testcase 1), it would bypass the cleanup.

> S.B : yes, it is a bit worrying

Regarding your question about the noisy logging of application
exception by the PhaseInterceptorChain, I feel that the concept of
checked application fault should do the job ; I didn't verify.

> S.B. It seems like the logging will occur no matter how we set the fault
> code, though the levels will differ. There is a pending patch for
> PhaseInterceptorChain be able to check for custom FaultLoggers which should
> do the job.

> S.B. I'm wondering, should we try to step back a bit and consider more
> seriously your initial idea about explicitly invoking a fault chain if an
> exception mapper has been found ?
The only 2 problems that we need to address are these : if an (application)
fault has been mapped to a Response by ExceptionMapper then custom in/out
interceptors which are registered earlier/later in the chain will not have
their handleFault methods called (1) and the fault chain will be bypassed (2).
I'm not sure if users use custom out interceptors after JAXRSOutInterceptor has
been invoked so the former problem is less critical but the latter problem
prevents JAXRS users from *fully* utilizing some core CXF features,
specifically, exceptions are not counted/checked properly by the management
feature, but only when they have been converted into JAXRS Response by mappers.

>S.B The solution which which we've discussed so far seems the best one
>technically but there're few bits I'm not feeling comfortable about...JAXRS
>users will need to do extra work which they haven't had to do before if they'd
>like to minimize the logging noise and postponing the cleanup until the later
>stages seems a bit brittle. I forgot to mention that JAXRS users can avail of
>the CXF Continuations API so the runtime SuspendedInvocations will occur as a
>result and no fault chains will be invoked to handle them given that it is not
>a real fault, at some later time some other thread will get back and pass
>through the JAXRSInInterceptor again so this is where we can have a leak after
>the given invocation has been suspended if we do a cleanup in the fault chain,
>possibly a number of times - may be we can fix it by updating
>JAXRSInInterceptor/JAXRSInvoker only if SuspendedInvocation has occured.

What you've done so far seems very precise and quite perfect but as you see
yourself the refactoring is becoming a bit complicated :-). In the end of the
day, writing a simple FaultLogger which will block the extra logging or
ensuring the cleanup always occurs is not a big deal, but before we commit to
it I'd like us to explore an alternative solution.

> S.B So the possible alternative approach is to ensure an in/out fault chain
> is called explicitly even after we have mapped an exception to JAXRS Response
> with a custom ExceptionMapper. I'm not sure how to do it yet, may be we can
> add some method to PhaseInterceptorChain, say, getCurrentFaultChain.
Or may we can add a property like
"org.apache.cxf.exception.convertedToResponse" and rethrow the fault and update
XMLOutFaultInterceptor to check this property and not to write out if it 's
been set...

What do you think ?

thanks, Sergey

Regarding your question about the client, I didn't touch the WebClient
yet, it is on my todo list there should not be problems with it.

I would prefer to focus on the server side right now and postpone the
client side refactoring as the server side  work is already pretty big
:-)

> S.B agreed :-)

Please tell me if it makes sense to continue to work on this,

Cyrille

(1) see org.apache.cxf.systest.jaxrs.CustomOutFaultInterceptor in jaxrs systest