Hi everybody,

this is my first post to this mailing list.
I am using Apache CXF and I have the following problem: I need to read a multiple-value query parameter that is written in a comma-separated-values (CSV) format, hence non standard HTTP way. I know that this will be fixed in versions 3.1.8 and 3.2.0 with the contextual property "parse.query.value.as.collection", as written here:
but the above solution works for ALL query parameters, I want to be selective, for instance I just want query parameters annotated with @MyAnnotation to be parsed as CSV collection, other query parameters may accept commas as a value. Therefore I've written a ParamConverter provided by a ParamConverterProvider: the latter reads the annotation and returns the appriopriate ParamConverter that converts a String into a List. But this is not working since the returned List is used as first element of the linked method parameter, so in the end I have a List of List.

Example:

Query parameter: MY_PARAM=VALUE_1,VALUE_2,VALUE_3
Method parameter: List<?> myParam; // Here I put "?" instead of "String" as generic type in order to explain this example ParamConverter fromString() method: return Arrays.asList(value.split(",")); //returns a List<String> Expected result: myParam is a List<String>, a list of 3 elements (VALUE_1, VALUE_2, VALUE_3) Actual result: myParam is a List<List<String>>, a list with one element, this single element is a list of 3 elements (VALUE_1, VALUE_2, VALUE_3)

It seems that when used in conjuction with a List (a Collection?) method parameter, a ParamConverter works per-element, not for the whole list. Is this the correct behaviour? Do you know some work-around that I could use without writing an Apache CXF Interceptor (I don't want to be bound to an implementation of JAX-RS) ? I've noticed that Jersey has a similar issue too: https://java.net/jira/browse/JERSEY-2763

Thanks in advice,

best regards
--
*Eng. Diego Ruotolo*