Github user cchepelov commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/cxf/pull/309

    Thanks for the feedback @sberyozkin

    As noted in the JIRA ticket, I hesitated between simply updating the
existing interceptors and forking/deprecating. The reason why I went with the
latter is in order to avoid making a breaking interface change for users of
_subclasses_ of these interceptors, which seemed to be an excessive surprise in
a possible 3.1.(x+1) release. In the patch as it is now, the **features** are
updated to use the new interceptors.

    Do you feel I overestimated the inconvenience to such subclassers, at the
expense of leaving (effectively) dead/worse code around ? I'll gladly switch to
the break-but-improve-in-place strategy if this is preferred.

---